Sr. Research Scientist and SNF Director of Education
Mike Deal is a Senior Research Scientist specializing in advanced nanoelectronic materials science at SNF. He is also SNF's Education Director. Mike has been at Stanford since 1986, working in Professors Jim Plummer and Yoshio Nishi's research groups on GaAs and silicon nanodevices and processes, as well as with SNF on education and outreach programs and as a technical liaison. He also works on NSF-funded research programs on nanoscience curriculum and teacher professional development for high schools. Along with Jim Plummer and Peter Griffin, he co-authored the textbook: Silcion VLSI Technology - Fundamentals, Practice, and Modeling.
- C. Lu, G. Wong, M. Deal, W. Tsai, P. Majhi, C. Chui, M. Visokay, J. Chambers, L. Colombo, B. Clemens, and Y. Nishi, “Characteristics and mechanism of tunable work function gate electrodes using a bilayer metal structure on SiO2 and HfO2,” IEEE Electron Device Letters, vol. 26, p. 445, July, 2005.
- H. Jagannathan, H. Kim, M. Deal, P. McIntyre, and Y. Nishi, “Analysis of structure and orientation of vertical germanium single crystal nanowires on silicon substrates,” 2005 International Conference on Solid State Devices and Materials, Kobe, Japan
- G. M. T. Wong, C-H. Lu, M. Deal, Y. Nishi, and B. M. Clemens, " Work Function Behavior of Nb-W and Ti-W Bilayer Metal Gates via Physical Characterization and Diffusion Modeling", IEEE 3rd International Symposium on Advanced Gate Stack (ISAGST), Austin, TX, USA, Sep. 27-29, 2006.
- H. Jagannathan, J. Kim, M. Deal, M. Kelly, and Y. Nishi, “Halide passivation of germanium nanowires,” ECS Transactions, v. 3, p. 1175, 2006.
- M. Grubbs, M. Deal, Y. Nishi, and B.M. Clemens, “The effect of oxygen on the work function of tungsten gate electrodes in MOS devices,” Electron Device Letters, vol. 30, p. 925, 2009.
- X. Zhang, J. Li, M. Grubbs, M. Deal, B. Magyari-Kope, B. Clemens, Y. Nishi, “Physical model of the impact of metal grain work function variability on emerging dual metal gate MOSFETs and its implications for SRAM reliability, 2009 International Electronic Device Meeting.
- Ching-Huang Lu, Gloria M.T. Wong, Ryan P. Birringer, Reinhold Dauskardt, Michael Deal, Bruce M. Clemens, and Yoshio Nishi, Bilayer metal gate electrodes with tunable work function: mechanism and proposed model, J. Appl. Phys, vol. 106, p. 63710, 2010.
- R. Birringer, C. Lu, M. Deal, Y. Nishi, and R. Dauskardt, “Bilayer metal gate electrodes with tunable work function: adhesion and interface characterization,” J. Appl. Physics, vol. 108, p. 53704, 2010.
- Melody E. Grubbs, Xiao Zhang, Michael Deal, Yoshio Nishi, and Bruce M. Clemens, “Development and Characterization of High Temperature Stable Ta-WSi- C Amorphous Metal Gates,”Applied Physics Letters, vol. 97, 223505, 2010.
- Y. Chung, O. Johnson, M. Deal, Y. Nishi, B. Murmann, and Z. Bao, "Engineering the metal gate electrode for controlling the threshold voltage of organic transistors," Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 101, p. 063304, Aug. 2012