NNIN REU Expectations and Schedule
Welcome to our program!! Please read these expectations carefully and keep them close by for the summer. They will help guide you on the schedule.
April and May
- Work with your Site Coordinator on site and travel information, etc. Your host site should arrange and pay for your travel -- including travel to the convocation site (if different from your REU site).
- Contact your site Principal Investigator and/or Mentor (PI/M) to learn about your research project; get any advance reading materials which might be helpful to understanding your project.
- Attend the NNIN REU Program at your award site!
- Research! This internship must be your only work focus during the ten-week period.
- Attend research group meetings, REU trainings and check-ins, etc., as requested; including NNIN REU Webinars. Take photographs!
- It is CRITICAL that you learn how to save SEM and AFM images at the highest resolution / contrast possible! Ask your mentor how now!! (Assuming you are taking SEM and AFM images as part of your research, of course.)
- Contact your Site Coordinator if any part of your program is not running smoothly.
- Research! Take photographs of you and your fellow interns working in your labs!
- Attend any tours or special events set up as part of your program; including NNIN REU Webinars. Take photographs!
- Begin preparing your convocation presentation, poster and final report! Ask your PI/M -- what have we done so far that I should report on? If you create one PowerPoint slide and summary paragraph each week, you'll have your presentation and poster done by August, and have a solid outline for your final report. Remember -- gather good, high resolution SEM and AFM images.
- Confirm your convocation travel plans with your Site Coordinator.
- Work with your Site Coordinator if your experience is not going well or contact the NNIN REU Education Coordinator or Program Assistant if necessary. (*)
- Read over the Convocation Expectations carefully. Presentation abstracts are due WEDNESDAY, JULY 31st!
- Work towards finishing up your research. Take photographs!
- Put the final touches on your presentation. Be sure to practice! Create and print your poster.
- Remember: Your presentation and poster MUST both be approved by your PI before you attend the network convocation!
- Attend the NNIN REU Convocation.
- Finish your DRAFT FINAL REPORT and submit it to your PI
- Submit your FINAL REPORT to your PI, Site Coordinator AND Ms. Mallison by WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 4th.
- Send your best photographs of the summer to Ms. Mallison (preferably named "YourLastNameSummerPhoto1.jpg" etc.
Any issues during the summer which can not be addressed by local site management should be directed to NNIN site Management
NNIN REU Program Management
- NNIN Deputy Director: Dr. Lynn Rathbun, 607-254-4872, firstname.lastname@example.org
- NNIN Education Coordinator: Dr. Nancy Healy, 404-385-4307, email@example.com
- NNIN REU Program Assistant: Ms. Melanie-Claire Mallison, 607-254-4858, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please Note: If at any time during the NNIN REU Program, your PI and your NNIN Site Director and/or REU Program Coordinator determine that you are not living up to these expectations, the NNIN reserves the right to terminate your award. You will not be required to reimburse the NNIN for any expenses, but  you will not collect any unpaid stipend,  your travel and housing arrangements will be terminated, and  you will be sent home at your own expense.