REU Application Gateway
The 2013 NNIN Research Experience for Undergraduates Program Application Gateway
During the summer of 2013, the National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network will host a Research Experience for Undergraduates (NNIN REU) Program from June through August for approximately 85 interns to work at the fourteen NNIN sites. We are looking for engineering and science students with broad interests across the disciplines related to nanotechnology (including Biology, Chemistry, Materials Science, Physics, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering, just to name a few. A few positions for social science majors may also be available).
This is the 17th year of this program. For reference, participants and reports from prior REU program years can be found here.
Minority and female candidates are especially encouraged to apply, along with students with no previous research experience and students from non-research universities.
The chosen undergraduates taking part in the ten-week NNIN REU program will receive hands-on nanoscience and technology experience through research with applications to bio-engineering, chemistry, electronics, materials science, optics, opto-electronics, physics, and the life sciences. The research projects are designed and supervised by the faculty and technical staff at the NNIN research facilities. Interns work with faculty and graduate students on projects using the unique resources offered at their award site.
Note: in our program you do not choose a project. You will be selected for a particular project that fits your profile, by the Professor in charge of that project. It is not possible for you to review and select a project. If selected, you will be offered a specific project at a specific site.
A scientific convocation, attended by all the network interns, is held in August -- this year at the Georgia Institute of Technology -- to allow each intern the opportunity to present their work to their peers in the form of a concise scientific presentation. Interns also must complete a written report, akin to a research paper, summarizing the findings of their research project. These reports are published as the NNIN REU Research Accomplishments; past research accomplishments can be accessed via the left menu.
Participants receive a $4,000 stipend, plus housing and all reasonable travel expenses to their research site and the convocation site. They may be responsible for their own meals.
Full participation in the site program for the entire period, the network convocation, and the submission of a final report, are mandatory.
- WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 13TH, 2013:
The online application system goes offline; 8:00 PM EST, 5:00 PM PST
- WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 20TH, 2013:
The online recommendation system goes offline; 8:00 PM EST, 5:00 PM PST
- THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 21ST, 2013:
All (mailed/faxed) application materials must be RECEIVED by this date.
OUR AWARD PROCESS BEGINS:
MONDAY, MARCH 11TH, 2013 (via email). We will continue to offer positions until they are filled, which may be as late as early April.
Restrictions and Eligibility Requirements for NNIN REU Interns:
- If you participated in a NNUN or NNIN Program in the past, you cannot participate again.
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- You must be 18 years of age or older, have graduated from high school, and be completing at least your first year in college.
- You must have health insurance coverage for the summer.
- You must not be graduating (from a 4 yr. college) before the end of the program in August.
- You must not already have a four-year degree of any kind.
- You must have an overall GPA of 3.0 or better.
Your completed application includes the following materials, which must be submitted by the deadlines stated above. All these items are described more fully on the application website:
- The online account and application information.
- A Personal Essay.
- A One-Page Resume.
- One Letter of Recommendation.
- List of Relevant Engineering and Scientific Coursework, including grades and number of credits received for each course (in lieu of official transcript).
- Permanent Residents of the USA must submit a copy of their Green Card (both sides). If you are a citizen of another country and ARE NOT a Permanent Resident, you are not eligible for our program.
PLEASE NOTE: If and when you accept an NNIN REU internship offer, you will be required to submit an official transcript before your internship is secure.
**CLOSED - Access REU Online Application - CLOSED **
(Deadline WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 13TH, 2013; 8:00 PM EST, 5:00 PM PST)
Note: We have migrated to a new web site. Everything SHOULD work, if you find broken links or cannot access the application, please contact Melanie-Claire Mallison (below) immediately.
Ms. Melanie-Claire Mallison
NNIN REU Program Assistant
250 Duffield Hall CNF
Ithaca NY 14853-2700
Email click here